WHAT SHOULD WE DO ABOUT THAT MOON?






WHAT SHOULD WE DO ABOUT THAT MOON?

A wine bottle fell from a wagon and
broke open in a field.

That night one hundred beetles and all their cousins
Gathered
and did some serious binge drinking.

They even found some seed husks nearby
and began to play them like drums and whirl.

This made God very happy.

Then the "night candle" rose into the sky
and one drunk creature, laying down his instrument,
said to his friend ~ for no apparent
Reason,
"What should we do about that moon?"

Seems to Hafiz
Most everyone has laid aside the music
Tackling such profoundly useless
Questions.







WITH THAT MOON LANGUAGE

Admit something.
Everyone you see, you say to them, “Love me.”
Of course you do not do this out loud, otherwise
Someone would call the cops.
Still though, think about this, this great pull in us to connect.

Why not become the one who lives
With a full moon in each eye that is always saying
With that sweet moon language
What every other eye
In this world
Is dying to hear?



THE HAPPY  VIRUS

I caught the happy virus last night
When I was out singing beneath the stars.

It is remarkably contagious -

So kiss me.
___




ALL THE HEMISPHERES

Leave the familiar for a while.
Let your senses and bodies stretch out

Like a welcomed season
Onto the meadow and shores and hills.

Open up to the Roof.
Make a new watermark on your excitement
And love.

Like a blooming night flower,
Bestow your vital fragrance of happiness
And giving
Upon our intimate assembly.

Change rooms in your mind for a day.
All the hemispheres in existence
Lie beside an equator
In your heart.

Greet Yourself
In your thousand other forms
As you mount the hidden tide and travel
Back home.

All the hemispheres in heaven
Are sitting around a fire
Chatting
While stitching themselves together

Into the Great Circle inside of
You.
___


IT FELT LOVE

How
Did the rose
Ever open its heart
And give to this world
All its
Beauty?

It felt the encouragement of light
Against its
Being,

Otherwise,
We all remain
Too
Frightened.
____



THE DAY SKY

Let us be like
Two falling stars in the day sky.

Let no one know of our sublime beauty
As we hold hands with God
And burn
Into a sacred existence that defies -
That surpasses
Every description of ecstasy
And love.
___




FAITHFUL LOVER

The moon came to me last night
With a sweet question.

She said,
"The sun has been my faithful lover
For millions of years.

Whenever I offer my body to him
Brilliant light pours from his heart.

Thousands then notice my happiness
And delight in pointing
Toward my beauty.

Hafiz,
Is it true that our destiny
Is to turn into Light
Itself?"

And I replied,

"Dear moon,
Now that your love is maturing,
We need to sit together
Close like this more often
So I might instruct you
How to become
Who you
Are!"




THE SUBJECT TONIGHT IS LOVE

The subject tonight is Love
And for tomorrow night as well,
As a matter of fact
I know of no better topic
For us to discuss
Until we all
Die!

___




A SUSPENDED BLUE OCEAN

The sky
Is a suspended blue ocean.

The stars are the fish
That swim.

The planets are the white whales
I sometimes hitch a ride on,
And the sun and all light
Have forever fused themselves
Into my heart and upon
My skin.

There is only one rule
On this Wild Playground,
For every sign Hafiz has ever seen
Reads the same.

They all say,
"Have fun, my dear; my dear, have fun,
In the Beloved's Divine
Game,
O, in the Beloved's
Wonderful
Game."
___




AT THIS PARTY

I don't want to be the only one here
Telling all the secrets -
Filling up all the bowls at this party,
Taking all the laughs.

I would like you
To start putting things on the table
That can also feed the soul
The way I do.

That way
We can invite
A hell of a lot more
Friends.
___






BECOMING HUMAN

Once a man came to me and spoke for hours about
"His great visions of God" he felt he was having.

He asked me for confirmation, saying,
"Are these wondrous dreams true?"

I replied, "How many goats do you have?"

He looked surprised and said,
"I am speaking of sublime visions
And you ask
About goats!"

And I spoke again saying,
"Yes, brother - how many do you have?"

"Well, Hafiz, I have sixty-two."

"And how many wives?"

Again he looked surprised, then said,
"Four."

"How many rose bushes in your garden,
How many children,
Are your parents still alive,
Do you feed the birds in winter?"

And to all he answered.
Then I said,
"You asked me if I thought your visions were true,
I would say that they were if they make you become
More human,
More kind to every creature and plant
That you know."
___





A GREAT NEED

Out
Of a great need
We are all holding hands
And climbing.

Not loving is a letting go.

Listen,
The terrain around here
Is
Far too
Dangerous
For
That.

____




WHY ABSTAIN?

Why
Abstain from love
When like the beautiful snow goose
Someday your soul
Will leave this summer
Camp?

Why
Abstain from happiness
When like a skilled lion
Your heart is
Nearing
And
Will someday see
The divine prey is
Always
Near!

___





BUTTER IN THE SKY

Slipping
On my shoes,
Boiling water,
Toasting bread,
Buttering the sky:

That should be enough contact
With God in one day
To make anyone
Crazy.

___





AN ASTRONOMICAL QUESTION

What
Would
Happen if God leaned down


And gave you a full wet
Kiss?


Hafiz
Doesn't mind answering astronomical questions
Like that:


You would surely start
Reciting all day, inebriated,
Rogue-poems

Like
This.

___





WHY NOT BE POLITE?

Everyone
Is God speaking.
Why not be polite and
Listen to
Him?
___





FIND A BETTER JOB

Now
That
All your worry
Has proved such an
Unlucrative
Business,
Why
Not
Find a better
Job?
___




AND FOR NO REASON

And
For no reason
I start skipping like a child.


And
For no reason
I turn into a leaf
That is carried so high
I kiss the Sun's mouth
And dissolve.


And
For no reason
A thousand birds
Choose my head for a conference table,
Start passing their
Cups of wine
And their wild songbooks all around.


And
For every reason in existence
I begin to eternally,
To eternally laugh and love!


When I turn into a leaf
And start dancing,
I run to kiss our beautiful Friend
And I dissolve in the Truth
That I Am.

___




DROPPING KEYS

The small man
Builds cages for everyone
He
Knows.

While the sage,
Who has to duck his head
When the moon is low,
Keeps dropping keys all night long
For the
Beautiful
Rowdy
Prisoners.
___





ELEGANCE

It
Is not easy
To stop thinking ill
Of others.

Usually one must enter into a friendship
With a person


Who has accomplished that great feat himself.
Then


Something
Might start to rub off on you
Of that




True
Elegance.
__




IF YOU DON'T STOP THAT

I used to live in
A cramped house with confusion
And pain.

But then I met the Friend
And started getting drunk
And singing all
Night.


Confusion and Pain
Started acting nasty,
Making threats,
With talk like this,


"If you don't stop 'that' -
All that fun -


We're
Leaving."
___




DAMN THIRSTY

First
The fish needs to say,

"Something ain't right about this
Camel ride -


And I'm
Feeling so damn


Thirsty."
___





THOSE BEAUTIFUL LOVE GAMES

Young lovers wisely say,
"Let's try it from this angle,
Maybe something marvelous will happen,


Maybe three suns and two moons
Will roll out
From a hiding place in the body
Our passion has yet to ignite."


Old lovers say,
"We can do it one more time,
How about from this longitude
And latitude -
Swinging from a rope tied to the ceiling?

Maybe a part of God
Is still hiding in a corner of your heart
Our devotion has yet to reveal."

Bottom line:
Do not stop playing
These beautiful
Love
Games.
____





I WANT BOTH OF US

I want both of us
To start talking about this great love

As if you, I, and the Sun were all married
And living in a tiny room,
Helping each other to cook,
Do the wash,
Weave and sew,
Care for our beautiful
Animals.

We all leave each morning
To labor on the earth's field.

No one does not lift a great pack.

I want both of us to start singing like two
Travelling minstrels
About this extraordinary existence
We share,
As if
You, I, and God were all married
And living in
A tiny
Room.
___




LIKE PASSIONATE LIPS

There are
So many positions of
Love:

Each curve on a branch,
the thousand different ways
Your eyes can embrace us,
The infinite shapes your
Mind can draw,
The spring
Orchestra of scents,
The currents of light combusting
Like passionate lips,
The revolution of Existence's skirt
Whose folds contain other worlds,
Your every sign that falls against
His inconceivable
Omnipresent
Body.
____




IMAGINATION DOES NOT EXIST

You should come close to me tonight, wayfarer
For I will be celebrating you.

Your beauty still causes me madness,
Keeps the neighbours complaining
When I start shouting in the middle of the night
Because I can't bear all this joy.

I will be giving birth to suns.
I will be holding forests upside down
Gently shaking soft animals from trees and burrows
Into my lap.

What you conceive as imagination
Does not exist for me.

Whatever you can do in a dream
Or on your mind-canvas
My hands can pull - alive - from my coat pocket.

But let's not talk about my divine world
For what I most want to know
Tonight is:
All about
You.
____






I GOT KIN

Plant
So that your own heart
Will grow.

Love
So God will think,
"Ahhhhhh,
I got kin in that body!
I should start inviting that soul over
For coffee and
Rolls."

Sing
Because this is a food
Our starving world
Needs.

Laugh
Because that is the purest
Sound.
____

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Love-Polynesian-Pillow-Book/dp/0980029708

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts